As the world marks International Women's Day, I thought it was worth celebrating the life and work of Sophia Jex-Blake, an English woman who was instrumental in furthering the role of women in medicine, here in Edinburgh.
Born in 1840, Jex-Blake had undertaken some travels in America during her 20s, where she had spent time working alongside some of the earliest female physicians on that side of the Atlantic. On application study medicine at Harvard, she was informed that the university had no provision for teaching women in any of its departments, least of all medicine.
After returning to Britain she was determined to continue pursuing her interests in the medical field, and believed that Scotland, with a more enlightened attitude towards education than England at the time, might be receptive to her intentions to train as a doctor. On application to Edinburgh University's medical school, she was informed that although the medical faculty had agreed in principle to allow her to study, the university's lawyers had blocked the application on the grounds of the necessary arrangements required by the university were too great to be warranted for 'just one woman'.
Stirred by this form of refusal, Jex-Blake advertised in the Scotsman newspaper for other women who were interested in joining the university, and in 1869 five of them submitted applications to study medicine (with a further two joining the course later). This time her application, and that of her fellow women, was accepted, and that year Edinburgh became the first university in Britain to accept women as students.
This was not to say that the women were roundly accepted by everyone - in 1870 a mob of 200 men and women pelted mud and insults at the students as they arrived for an anatomy exam at Surgeons' Hall. An appeal against the admission of women was successfully launched, and all of them later had to withdraw from their training in Edinburgh - many transferred to schools in Europe, where women were already permitted to study.
Undaunted, Jex-Blake qualified as a doctor in London in 1874, and returned to Edinburgh in 1878, opening up a medical practice on Manor Place in the New Town. In 1885 the dispensary expanded and moved to premises on the corner of Grove Street and Fountainbridge - the building still stands today, its ornate sandstone decoration making it stand out from its modern neighbours on either side. This building became the city's first hospital for the treatment of women, and particularly women from poorer backgrounds who would not be able to afford the consultations of a private doctor. It was staffed entirely by women.
In 1887 Jex-Blake established the Edinburgh School of Medicine for Women, a teaching institute which was instrumental in establishing another of the country's great medical pioneers, Elsie Inglis. Inglis and Jex-Blake were not great friends, and Inglis went on to establish a rival training school for women which was more successful, and for which Inglis is more celebrated today.
Both Jex-Blake and Inglis' medical schools closed in 1892, when Edinburgh University formally accepted female students once again. The hospital Jex-Blake established moved from Grove Street to Bruntsfield as it grew and expanded, and although it operated a medical institution up until 1989, today the building has been converted into modern housing.
Sophia Jex-Blake died in 1912, and is buried in Sussex in England, where she had lived out the final years of her life with her partner, Margaret Todd.
Today, women and medicine are intrinsically linked, and it is hard to imagine a medical service in the UK without the pioneering work and dedication of women like Sophia Jex-Blake and Elsie Inglis.
Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours is run by Gareth Davies, an adopted native of Edinburgh since 1998...